|Adding fractions with unlike denominators|
|Exercise Name:||Adding fractions with unlike denominators|
|Math Missions:||5th grade (U.S.) Math Mission, 7th grade (U.S.) Math Mission, Arithmetic essentials Math Mission, Pre-algebra Math Mission|
|Types of Problems:||1|
The Adding fractions with unlike denominators exercise appears under the 5th grade (U.S.) Math Mission, 7th grade (U.S.) Math Mission, Arithmetic essentials Math Mission and Pre-algebra Math Mission. This exercise starts practice on adding fractions where it is necessary to find common denominators.
Types of Problems
There is one type of problem in this exercise:
- Add the fractions: This problem has an addition problem with two fractions that have unlike denominators. The user is asked to find the sum and write it in the appropriate spot.
This exercise is easy to get accuracy badges with basic fraction arithmetic properties. The speed badges are medium because the process for adding fractions is not extremely fast, but it can be done quickly with practice.
- Final answers do need to be simplified to get credit.
- A calculator may go against the spirit of the problem but can increase speeds, especially if you know how to change decimals into fractions on a calculator.
- An algebraic rule to add the fractions and is to calculate , but you will often need simplification if you add them in this way.
- Fractions appear in every day media to show information to consumers.
- Addition is a major fundamental for higher math levels like algebra, calculus, and more.