|Exercise Name:||Area problems|
|Math Missions:||4th grade (U.S.) Math Mission, Pre-algebra Math Mission, Mathematics I Math Mission|
|Types of Problems:||1|
The Area problems exercise appears under the 4th grade (U.S.) Math Mission, Pre-algebra Math Mission and Mathematics I Math Mission. This exercise practices calculating area with rectangles and squares.
Types of Problems
There is one type of problem in this exercise:
- Solve the question about area: This problem describes a situation in words and asks users to calculate the area.
- There are three types of questions. Find the side of the square given the area (shown in picture), find the area of the square given the side, and find the area of the rectangle given it's dimensions.
- If the problem gives users two numbers, it is an area of rectangle question, so the answer is the product.
- Area and perimeter are used in many jobs for architecture and interior design.
- The ancient Egyptians from over 4000 years ago were very good at shapes and geometry. Every time the Nile burst its banks and flooded the planes, they had to use geometry to measure their gardens and fields all over again.