|Arithmetic word problems with mass|
|Exercise Name:||Arithmetic word problems with mass|
|Math Missions:||3rd grade (U.S.) Math Mission|
|Types of Problems:||2|
The first instance of Arithmetic word problems with mass is under the 3rd grade (U.S.) Math Mission. This exercise uses word problems and pictures of scales to helps students understand the concept of measuring mass and how it can relate to arithmetic.
Types of Problems
There are two types of problems in this exercise:
- No picture word problem: This problem use words to describe a problem. The student solves the problem and answers the question. The problem can have one step or multiple steps. The pictured problem is a multi-step problem.
- Picture word problem: This problem use a picture to describe a problem. The student solves the problem and answers the question. The problem can have one step or multiple steps. The pictured problem is a multi-step problem.
This exercise is medium to get accuracy badges because the multi-step problems. Students cannot get into a habit of expecting the same problem type due to the single-step problems and multi-step problems. Speed badges are only medium though because only little research has been done but exact problems seem to repeat on a pretty tight schedule.
- As mentioned in the paragraph, the problems seem to recycle rather quickly here.
- One-step problems with or without pictures can be done quickly. Read closely if there it is starting to look like a multi-step problem.
- Measurement is important for taking proper medicine. If one has an illness (whether serious or minor) they need to take their medicine and take it in the proper amount. If they take too little or too much then they are not going to get the proper benefit from it.