The first instance of Comparing with multiplication word problems is under the 4th grade (U.S.) Math Mission. This exercise practices the technique of comparing numbers via multiplication, i.e., how many times larger or smaller a number is than another number.
Types of Problems
There is one type of problem in this exercise:
- Find the equation that works: This problem describes a situation that can be modeled with a multiplication problem. Users are asked to select the multiplication problem that would model the situation correctly.
This exercise involves careful reading and experience with general word problems would increase proficiency.
- Occasionally the possible answer choices are one multiplication statement and one addition statement. Since the exercise is about multiplication, the answer is the multiplication one.
- Multiplication is needed and used by mechanics for repairing cars by multiplying when they overhaul the engine, measure the pistons or just to put in a new gearbox or engine.
- By learning multiplication and memorizing the times tables, users provide themselves with essential building blocks to do higher learning math, like division, fractions and even algebra.
- Multiplication is necessary for a career in the stock market.