|Coordinate plane word problems in the first quadrant|
|Exercise Name:||Coordinate plane word problems in the first quadrant|
|Math Missions:||5th grade (U.S.) Math Mission, 6th grade (U.S.) Math Mission|
|Types of Problems:||3|
The topic Coordinate plane word problems in the first quadrant is under the 5th grade (U.S.) Math Mission and 6th grade (U.S.) Math Mission. This exercise continues to play with the Cartesian coordinate system, this time using it in the context of word problems.
Types of Problems
There are three types of problems in this exercise:
- Graph and select answer: This problem provides a coordinate plane and a word problem. The user is asked to plot points correctly in the grid, and then answer a multiple choice question about the word problem.
- Graph and give coordinates: This problem provides a coordinate plane and a word problem. The user is asked to plot point correctly in the grid and then find the coordinates of something based on the word problem. The coordinate are typed into the appropriate spaces on the right.
- Just picture: This problem provides a word problem situation. The user is asked to plot points correctly in the grid as described by the problem.
This exercise is easy to get accuracy badges with the correct amount of familiarity with graphing points. The speed badges should be considered medium because of the need to provide several points in the manipulative.
- Many of the points that need to be placed in the grid are collinear or form nice shapes, such as rectangles. Knowing this ahead of time can provide some assistance with speed badges.
- All points are in the first quadrant, therefore this is no need to worry about the other quadrants.
- Graphing can be used to measure stocks, insurance, and accounting.