The Dividing decimals 1 exercise appears under the 5th grade (U.S.) Math Mission, 6th grade (U.S.) Math Mission, Arithmetic essentials Math Mission, Pre-algebra Math Mission and Mathematics I Math Mission. This exercise introduces division by decimal numbers.
Types of Problems
There is one type of problem in this exercise:
- Find the quotient: This problem has a division problem that involves dividing a whole number by a decimal. The user is to find the answer and write it in the space provided.
- A calculator goes against the spirit of the problem and is not likely to increase speed here.
- If users can think of the decimal as a fraction, many of these can turn into multiplication problems since dividing by a fraction is equivalent to multiplying by a reciprocal.
- Some of the standard fractions in decimal form: , , and .
- Dividing by 0.75 is like multiplying by , so users can divide the number by 3, then divide by 4.
- Decimals appear in every-day media to display information to consumers.