The Division with fractions and whole numbers word problems exercise appears under the 5th grade (U.S.) Math Mission, Arithmetic essentials Math Mission, Pre-algebra Math Mission and Mathematics I Math Mission. This exercise introduces some word problems with fractions and division.
Types of Problems
There are two types of problems in this exercise:
- Divide by number: This problem describes a situation where a fraction needs to be divided into several pieces. The user is asked to provide the correct answer in the appropriate spot.
- Divide by fraction: This problem describes a situation where a number needs to be divided by a fraction to find the answer. The user is asked to provide the correct answer.
This exercise is medium to get accuracy badges because the numbers involved are small and easy to work with if the user has done the mechanics. The speed badges are easy once they know the only trap to watch for (described in the hints below).
- Users should be careful because there is a problem where they have to split something among a number of people, and another type of problem where users have to split something among their self and a number of their friends. They need to not forget to include their self when dividing if needed!
- None of the problems use large numbers, so there is no need for a calculator as long as one knows their standard times tables.
- Fractions appear in every-day media to display information to consumers.