The Fraction multiplication as scaling exercise appears under the 5th grade (U.S.) Math Mission, Arithmetic essentials Math Mission, Pre-algebra Math Mission and Mathematics I Math Mission. This exercise tries to assist understanding of fractions as part of a whole.
Types of Problems
There are three types of problems in this exercise:
- Compare the numbers: This problem provides a multiplication problem and compares it to one of the numbers. The student is asked to select the correct comparison symbol.
- Make the comparisons: This problem provides a selections for several problem simultaneously. Each problem needs a selection of less, greater or equal to for several expressions. The student is expected to correctly answer each.
- Find most and least: This problem has a length word problem using fractions. The student is asked to find out among the people who has most and least of something.
This exercise is medium to get accuracy badges because one of the problem seems to take a lot of concentration. The speed badges should be considered hard until students can find a good way to analyze this problem.
- It is the Find most and least problem that users are looking for an automatic way to complete.
- For the other problems, the size of the fraction can almost immediately dictate which arithmetic expression is larger.
- Fractions appear in every day media to show information to consumers.
- Fractions are used in real life in lots of different ways, but are commonly used in cooking, construction and science.