The first instance of Halves and fourths is under the Early math Math Mission. This exercise has users select the shape that is cut in a specified way.
Types of Problems
There is one type of problem in this exercise:
- Select the picture: This problem has a shape that is to be cut into either halves or fourths. The user is expected to select the picture that correctly splits the figure.
- The shapes that occur are rectangles, squares and circles so you can write these out or visualize them before beginning the exercise.
- The shapes can be cut horizontally, vertically, or diagonally so think of what these will look like before beginning.
- The rectangle will not be cut in fourths diagonally.
- Pizzas are cut into smaller shapes.
- The ancient Egyptians from over 4000 years ago were very good at shapes and geometry. Every time the Nile burst its banks and flooded the planes, they had to use geometry to measure their gardens and fields all over again.
- Fractions, decimals, and percents are used in many sports such as basketball to determine how many field goals the player has made over how many they attempted.
- Fractions are used in real life in lots of different ways, but are commonly used in cooking, construction and science.