|Multi-step word problems with whole numbers|
|Exercise Name:||Multi-step word problems with whole numbers|
|Math Missions:||4th grade (U.S.) Math Mission, 5th grade (U.S.) Math Mission|
|Types of Problems:||3|
The Multi-step word problems with whole numbers exercise appears under the 4th grade (U.S.) Math Mission and 5th grade (U.S.) Math Mission. This exercise promotes experience with word problems that are more complicated than the problems that have been seen before this point.
Types of Problems
There are three types of problems in this exercise:
- Multiple select: This problem describes a situation and the user selects all of the available answers that represent a correct average.
- Give answer: This problem describes a situation and the user is supposed to solve it and provide the correct answer or answers in the space provided.
- Use picture: Strictly speaking the picture is not necessary, but it has a picture that can be used to model a situation. The user sometimes has to write an answer and sometimes has to select. The are often multiple parts to these problems.
This exercise is medium to get accuracy badges because there are many different types of problems that ask for many different things. Speed badges are easy because the problems recycle at a decent pace and the timing tolerance is fair.
- As remarked above, the picture is not always necessary for the Use picture problem.
- Multiplication is needed and used by mechanics for repairing cars by multiplying when they overhaul the engine, measure the pistons or just to put in a new gearbox or engine.