|Multiplying and dividing scientific notation|
|Exercise Name:||Multiplying and dividing scientific notation|
|Math Missions:||8th grade (U.S.) Math Mission, Pre-algebra Math Mission, Algebra basics Math Mission, Mathematics I Math Mission|
|Types of Problems:||2|
The Multiplying and dividing scientific notation exercise appears under the 8th grade (U.S.) Math Mission, Pre-algebra Math Mission, Algebra basics Math Mission and Mathematics I Math Mission. This exercise uses scientific notation in multiplication and division problems.
Types of Problems
There are two types of problems in this exercise:
- Multiply the numbers: This problem has the product of two numbers written in scientific notation. The user is asked to find the answer and write it in scientific notation in the blanks.
- Divide the numbers: This problem has the quotient of two numbers written in scientific notation. The user is asked to find the answer and write in in scientific notation in the blanks.
Order of operations is useful for expansion, but knowledge and familiarity with scientific notation is really key.
- Many calculators have a scientific notation mode that can be used to increase accuracy and speed on this problem.
- The numbers used are controlled so that there is no need for rounding. Therefore it can be good practice for practice multiplying and dividing decimals and basic exponent rules.
- Scientific notation has many applications in the sciences.
- Scientific notation is useful for representing very large or very small quantities.
- Discoveries of scientific notation used in real life and acquire the comprehension of complex concepts such as polynomials and exponents.