|Negative numbers on the number line|
|Exercise Name:||Negative numbers on the number line|
|Math Missions:||6th grade (U.S.) Math Mission, 7th grade (U.S.) Math Mission, Arithmetic essentials Math Mission, Pre-algebra Math Mission, Mathematics I Math Mission|
|Types of Problems:||2|
The Negative numbers on the number line exercise appears under the 6th grade (U.S.) Math Mission, 7th grade (U.S.) Math Mission, Arithmetic essentials Math Mission, Pre-algebra Math Mission and Mathematics I Math Mission. This exercise uses a number line to model the location of negative numbers
Types of Problems
There are two types of problems in this exercise:
- Tell the value of the position: This problem has a number line drawn and labeled with a blue dot. The user is asked to write the value of the position occupied by the blue dot.
- Move the dot to the correct position: This problem has an orange dot at zero on a number line. The user is asked to move the orange dot to a specific position.
Experience with the number line model of the integers would provide adequate knowledge for doing this exercise.
- The scale on each number line is provided.
- Some number lines are presented horizontally and some are provided vertically.
- On the manipulative where the dot needs to be moved, there are five spots to the left and five spots to the right. This knowledge can help improve efficiency by jumping to the far right or left and counting the opposite direction.
- Negative numbers are used to represent land below sea level.
- Negative numbers are used to describe values on a scale that goes below zero, such as the Celsius and Fahrenheit scales for temperature.