|Percent word problems|
|Exercise Name:||Percent word problems|
|Math Missions:||6th grade (U.S.) Math Mission, 7th grade (U.S.) Math Mission, Algebra basics Math Mission, High school statistics and probability Math Mission|
|Types of Problems:||3|
The Percent word problems exercise appears under the 6th grade (U.S.) Math Mission, 7th grade (U.S.) Math Mission, Algebra basics Math Mission and High school statistics and probability Math Mission. This exercise practices word problems in percentages of all three major types.
Types of Problems
There are three types of problems in this exercise:
- Find the percentage: This problem provides a specific problem searching for a percentage of total. The user is asked to find the correct answer and provide it in the correct box.
- Find the total: This problem provides a word problem involving percents. The user is asked to find the correct answer and provide it in the space.
- Find the amount: This problem is the most straightforward. It asks for the user to type a particular percentage of a fixed value in the box.
This exercise is easy to get accuracy badges because all three problems are predictable. Speed badges should be considered medium because until users get into good habits. It might be considered slightly challenging to distinguish between the types.
- When Find the percentage happens, take the number, divide by the total, then multiply by 100.
- When Find the total happens, take the number and divide by the percentage (represented as a decimal).
- When Find the amount happens, just multiply the percentage (as a decimal) by the number and this should provide the right answer.
- Fractions, decimals, and percents are used in many sports such as basketball to determine how many field goals the player has made over how many they attempted.