|Proportion word problems|
|Exercise Name:||Proportion word problems|
|Math Missions:||7th grade (U.S.) Math Mission, Algebra basics Math Mission, Mathematics I Math Mission|
|Types of Problems:||1|
The topic Proportion word problems appears under the 7th grade (U.S.) Math Mission, Algebra basics Math Mission and Mathematics I Math Mission. This exercise practices setting up proportions and using them to solve word problems.
Types of Problems
There is one type of problem in this exercise:
- Select the proportions that can solve, and solve!: This problem provides an actual word problem and wants the student to solve it. Finding the answer is not enough, however, as the student is also expected to correctly indicate correct equations that could be used to solve the problem.
Cross multiplication techniques can help to provide a student and advantage on this exercise, but should not necessarily be considered vital.
- To ensure correctness, it is possible to find the correct answer and then solve each provide equation to find the one that works.
- This one problem can be done more quickly if the student is able to "match" the part to whole, as in a standard proportion.
- Research indicates that there tends to be two correct answers from the multiple-select list, there is not reason for this to continue and could be changed soon.
- Businesses can use proportions to figure out how much money they will earn if they sell more products.