The Reading bar charts 3 exercise appears under the Pre-algebra Math Mission and Mathematics I Math Mission. This exercise continues practice with reading bar charts and requires intense analysis of the charts and usage of other statistical concepts.
Types of Problems
There are two types of problems in this exercise:
- Find a summary statistic from the chart: This problem provides a bar chart that has midterm and final exam scores for various people. The user is asked to find a summary statistic for one of the exams for the class.
- Find the best performance: This problem provides a bar chart that has midterm and final exam information for various people. The user is asked to determine whether the class performed better on the midterm or the final.
Performance on this exercise is assisted by experience with reading bar charts, but requires knowledge of various statistical vocabulary words.
- The summary statistics that have been seen to be needed are mode, median and range, though others may be possible.
- It isn't necessary to actually calculate the averages arithmetic means in Find the best performance. It is possible to figure out in which direction the net difference is positive and this would be the exam with the highest average performance.
- The bar charts in this exercise can be in real-world situations.