Reading stem and leaf plots is an exercise that appears under the Pre-algebra Math Mission and Mathematics I Math Mission. This exercise practices the ability to read and interpret a stem-and-leaf plot.
Types of Problems
There is one type of problem in this exercise:
- Answer question based on plot: This problem provides a stem-and-leaf plot and a questions related to the plot. The student is expected to provide the correct answer in the available space.
This exercise is easy to get accuracy badges and speed badges because there is only one type of problem and as long as students are familiar with it, reading these types of displays can be done very quickly.
- There seem to be two types of general questions about the plot, "What is the least/greatest?" and "How many are above/below a given value?".
- Data and statistics appear in news reports and in the media every day.
- Many of the problems in this exercise could be viewed as real-life applications.
- Statistics can be seen more frequently than calculus in every day life.