Recognizing rays, lines, and line segments is an exercise under the 4th grade (U.S.) Math Mission and High school geometry Math Mission. This exercise improves familiarity with the lines, rays, and segments.
Types of Problems
There are three types of problems in this exercise:
- Name all of the objects: This problem has a diagram and the user is asked to select all correct names of a given object that appears in the picture.
- Select all pictures: This problem has several pictures and the user is asked to select those that have pictures of a given type of object.
- What type: The problem has a diagram drawn and a piece of it is green. The user is supposed to select the name of the green object.
- On the Name all of the type of object problem. if users are asked to select the segments, the answer seems to be all of them, every time. Research has not seen one yet where they put two points that are not connected.
- Map makers use rays, lines, and line segments to draw streets and roads on maps.
- Without geometry and trigonometry, building structures such as skyscrapers and houses would be impossible.