FANDOM


Simple hypothesis testing
Hypothesis-testing-with-simulations 256
Description
Exercise Name: Simple hypothesis testing
Math Missions: High school statistics and probability Math Mission
Types of Problems: 3

The Simple hypothesis testing exercise appears under the High school statistics and probability Math Mission. This exercise introduces the idea of a hypothesis being reasonable or not, which is vital for inferential statistics.

Types of Problems

There are three types of problems in this exercise:

  1. Find probability see if reasonable: This problem asks the probability of a particular event happening. After figuring out that probability and putting it in the slot, the the user then determines if the event is reasonable under a neutral assumption or hypothesis.
    Simhyp1

    Find probability see if reasonable

  2. Use graph see if reasonable: This problem describes a situation that may or not be reasonable with a hypothesis. The user reads the problem and analyzes the simulation data and determines if they think the result is reasonable.
    Simhyp2

    Use graph see if reasonable

  3. Do a lot!: This problem asks several questions. First it asks the user to determine which of a number of simulations would accurately model a situation they are interested in. After this, they use a graph and determine if a particular hypothesis is reasonable with some data.
    Simhyp3

    Do a lot!

Strategies

This exercise is hard to get accuracy badges because users need to be very careful and hypothesis testing can seem very counter-intuitive until they get some experience with it. The speed badges are hard also, not only because accuracy badges are hard but also because some problems have many steps and questions in them.

  1. The cutoff for 'reasonableness' seems to be the standard 5% significance level, as the remaining 95% is the most common cofidence level for business and academic research.

Real-life Applications

  1. A hypothesis is an educated guess or proposition that attempts to explain a set of facts or natural phenomenon. It is used mostly in the field of science, where the scientific method is used to test it. This skill is used heavily in business research.
  2. This skill is taught in statistics 2 to those majoring in statistics or psychology.

Ad blocker interference detected!


Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers

Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.