The Subtracting decimals exercise appears under the 5th grade (U.S.) Math Mission, 6th grade (U.S.) Math Mission, Arithmetic essentials Math Mission and Pre-algebra Math Mission. This exercise practices subtracting decimal numbers.
Types of Problems
There is one type of problem in this exercise:
- Subtract the numbers: This problem has a subtraction problem about the difference of two decimal numbers. The student is asked to find the correct answer and put it in the slot.
- Using a calculator goes against the spirit of the problem, but can increase speed.
- Borrowing is necessary on most of these problems.
- Subtracting using a distance model can increase speed over the standard algorithms.
- These problems specifically have both decimal numbers using the tenths, hundredths, or both.
- Decimals appear in every-day media to display information to consumers.
- Decimals are very common in shopping. Price tags, food labels, and receipts all contain decimals.
- At gas pumps, decimals are used to show how much gas is pumped and much it costs per gallon.