The topic Telling time word problems with the number line is a topic under the 3rd grade (U.S.) Math Mission. This exercise uses a number line to model time and works on solving problems about time.
Types of Problems
There are two types of problems in this exercise:
- Select the correct number line: This problem describes a situation and asks a question about a beginning time or ending time. There are several number lines pictured and the user is asked to select the number line that correctly models the problem.
- Answer the questions: This problem describes a problem involving the duration of an event. The user is asked to use the line to answer several questions about event represented there.
Knowing how to read a number line and the structure of time (specifically hours and minutes) are needed to complete this problem.
- The Select the number line problem might ask about a beginning time or an ending time, so it can be either adding or subtracting time. It is important to read carefully.
- The common problem for Answer the questions has the beginning time and the ending time marked on the number line. The questions are the beginning time, the ending time and length of the event.
- Remember that there are 60 minutes in an hour.
- Knowledge of telling time is needed for getting to meetings at the right time.