|Understanding fractions as division|
|Exercise Name:||Understanding fractions as division|
|Math Missions:||5th grade (U.S.) Math Mission, Arithmetic essentials Math Mission, Pre-algebra Math Mission, Mathematics I Math Mission|
|Types of Problems:||2|
The Understanding fractions as division exercise appears under the 5th grade (U.S.) Math Mission, Arithmetic essentials Math Mission, Pre-algebra Math Mission and Mathematics I Math Mission. This exercise explores the idea of fractions and how they relate to division.
Types of Problems
There are two types of problems in this exercise:
- Which represents the length of the rectangle shaded in blue?: This problem has a rectangle and a certain part of it is shaded. The user is asked to find which equation represents the part that is shaded.
- Complete the equation: This problems asks users to answer a question such as
This exercise is medium to get speed badges because there are so many different types of problems. Once user figures the process out, however, speed badges are only medium because they still have to be careful to read closely.
- The calculator would not be useful on many problems since the numbers are reasonable.
- Fractions appear in every day media to show information to consumers.
- Fractions are used in real life in many different ways, but they are most commonly used in the cooking, construction and science industries.