The Understanding the mean exercise used to appear in the The World of Math under the 6th grade (U.S.) Math Mission but was apparently removed. This exercise has several interactions that are intended to better understand what the mean, really means.
Types of Problems
There are three types of problems in this exercise:
- Select which of the statements are true: This problem provides the mean of a group and several statements that attempt to interpret the mean. The student is asked to select the statements that are true from a multiple select list.
- Find the mean: This problem provides a list of data collected from a situation. The student is asked to calculate the mean and write it in the space provided.
- Determine how a value effects the mean: This problem provides the mean and all but one of the data value from the set of values. The student is asked to use the given information to determine something about the missing value.
- Businesses can use mean, median, and mode to calculate how much money they make.
- Fashion is generally an answer to the question, "What is the mode?" e.g. "What's the most popular sneaker?" or "What shirt style would most people prefer to wear?"