|Exercise Name:||Volume 1|
|Math Missions:||5th grade (U.S.) Math Mission, Pre-algebra Math Mission, Mathematics I Math Mission|
|Types of Problems:||2|
Types of Problems
There are two types of problems in this exercise:
- Find side: This problem provides a manipulative picture which is missing a dimension, represented by a box. The user is asked to find the value that should be in the box and write it in the available spot.
- Find the volume: This problem provides a manipulative picture and asks users to find the correct volume.
This exercise is easy to get accuracy since users only need to use multiplicative ideas to get the answers. The speed badges should also be considered easy because although there are two problem types, both are done with small number and done easily.
- The box could be considered confusing. Research thought that the page had not been updated correctly. A notification has been sent.
- Volume divided by length divided by width in one, length times width times height in the other.
- When one fills up their vehicle with gas, the volume of gasoline in their gas tank helps to determine their purchase. Whether they fill up with gallons or liters of gasoline or diesel, the amount is a volume calculation. On a smaller scale, when one fills up a gas can to take to another vehicle or to use the gas to power another device, they again use volume for measuring.
- The ancient Egyptians from over 4000 years ago were very good at shapes and geometry. Every time the Nile burst its banks and flooded the planes, they had to use geometry to measure their gardens and fields all over again.